- “They can take my old photos, they can take my identity. But when they take my Courage, they've gone too far!”
Muriel Bagge is the deuteragonist of the series Courage the Cowardly Dog. She is a Scottish elderly woman who is the kind and sweet owner of Courage and the hard-working wife of Eustace. Muriel is the show's damsel-in-distress. She is apparently a very good cook and always uses her weapon, rolling pin to smack Eustace whenever he scares, teases, abuses and otherwise mistreats Courage.
She has white curls, wears a dark yellow dress with a yellow apron, a pair of sturdy, black leather boots, and just like her husband Eustace, wears glasses.
As a 3-year-old child, Muriel was a very mischievous and silly little girl. However, today, she is a devoted housewife, with a very gentle, sweet, and kind demeanor, who enjoys knitting, quilting, and cooking. Muriel is artistic; she plays the sitar and has performed live in New York, after winning a sitar playing contest.At one time, she had a part in her school's performance of H.M.S Pinafore—sometimes she dreams of being an actress. Most of all, she loves sitting in her rocking chair with Courage and watching television. She is a good cook and the winner of many cooking awards which include: best dog food, best eggplants, and best toffee apples. Her late Aunt Gertrude taught her how to put vinegar in everything and Muriel insists this does the trick. Even though she is an excellent cook, she has been noted to use too much vinegar. Her cooking, specifically her happy plums, has been shown to aid in the resolution of many conflicts. Due to her kindness and sweet, naive nature, she is an easy (and often attractive) target for villains. She is always nice to strangers, invites them into her home, and fails to see what they are plotting. Fortunately, she has Courage to save the day. He also helps her in many of her household duties. She also knows how to play the sitar and the piano, the former of which she mostly plays to relax. She is usually worried if Eustace is in trouble, as seen in the episode Queen of the Black Puddle. In that episode, she is worried when Eustace acts strangely, and when Eustace is gone and she cannot find him, she cries, saying that she wants Eustace back. Because Courage hopelessly cannot comfort her, he manages to go and save Eustace, who has been kidnapped by the Queen of the Black Puddle. Muriel stops crying when she sees Eustace. She seems to love him very much, though she cannot stand his mother, Ma. Muriel always tries to get Eustace to do the right thing (although usually unsuccessfully).
Her personality was once affected by an alien who sucked her kindness away making her as angry and mean as Eustace and assists him in torturing Courage before Courage restored her kindness. Also, Muriel had gotten amnesia and can't remember a thing even Courage and instead of helping her Eustace uses it to his advantage by making her a slave woman rather than his wife and kicks Courage out but as usual Courage saves the day and restores her memory.
- Muriel is one of three characters (the others being Courage and Eustace) to appear in nearly every episode.
- She is also one of seven characters (the others being Courage, Eustace, Shirley, Dr. Vindaloo, the Computer and Katz) to appear in every season.
- Muriel appears to loathe Eustace's mother as she refuses to visit her in Mother's Day, and disagrees with her attempt to take the Coralites' coral.
- Her blood type is "ABXYZ."
- In Remembrance of Courage Past, Muriel's hair is brown. However, when Muriel got married her hair was red, and as a toddler her hair was white.
- Muriel knows how to drive Eustace's Truck.
- A running gag throughout the series is Muriel showing off her underwear. The episode "Little Muriel" is the only time she has been shown in nothing but it.
- Muriel is more practical than Eustace.
- There is a running gag where Muriel will hit Eustace with a rolling pin whenever he does something mean to Courage.
The Gallery for Muriel can be found here.