|#27 – Muriel Meets Her Match|
| Season 2, Episode 1, Part 1|
|Air date:||December 21, 2001|
|Directed by:||John P. Dilworth|
|Written by:|| Katy McLaughlin|
David Steven Cohen
The Tower of Dr. Zalost
Courage vs. Mecha-Courage
Muriel Meets Her Match is the Season 3 premiere of Courage the Cowardly Dog and 27th episode in total. Courage vs. Mecha-Courage was followed after this episode.
The Episode starts with Maria Ladrones and her husband Mano Ladrones driving in the middle of Nowhere attempting to escape the police. They quickly pull over to the backyard of the Farm and stay there for the night. In the morning, the Ladrones discuss their next plan of action, which they happen to set their eyes upon Muriel. In order to get their attention and Eustace out of the house, they cut the antenna of the house, angering Eustace. Maria introduces herself as their new neighbor and offers Eustace her home, that has cable, which he accepts gladly. Maria has tea with Muriel, and asks her where she keeps all of her documents (Birth certificate, deed to the farm., etc...) and although Courage tries to stop her, Muriel innocently gives out the combination of the security box. Later at the request of Maria, Muriel gives her a makeover so that her hair is the same as hers (gives it a perm and dyes it white) and gives her one of her dresses.
That night Mano goes into the house and steals Muriel's glasses. Courage attempts to tell her what happened and what's going on, but she cannot understand or see him. As Courage exists the house, the Ladrones drive off and he starts to celebrate. The next day, as Muriel is banging into all of the furniture, Courage overhears on the radio that a diamond has been stolen (one that was on the news the day before) and Muriel was being accused of it. He then notices that the security box is wide open and that the documents have been taken from them. A police officer then attempts to arrest Muriel (he also gives her back her glasses as she thought that he was "cousin Harold") but Courage grabs her and they chases after the Ladrones in the officer's motorcycle. The high speed chase turns dangerous as Maria is firing cannons at the duo as they drive beside and behind her. After their motorcycle is hit by a cannon and left barely standing, Courage manages to get into their mobile home and get a hold of the diamond in which Mano starts choking him. Muriel then takes Courage throwing himself into the vehicle as a sign of them stealing her dog in which she goes after them. After Muriel falls into the roof and accidently hits Maria, the mobile home crashes. The police officer then arrests Maria and Mano (Who got stuck in a cactus). The episode ends with Eustace crying over the loss of the neighbors as they had great tv reception and Mano crawling across the screen and turning off the TV.
- "Casa" is Spanish for "house".
- Manny is based on Thing from the Addams Family.
- After having her glasses stolen, Muriel says to Courage, "You know I can't hear you without my glasses." This suggests that Muriel is deaf, or at least partially deaf, and can read lips. This would explain why she never seems to realize with something bad is happening around her. Though it is possible that she misspoke, having meant "see" instead of "hear".
- The officers of Nowhere are shown to be incompetant again; Muriel's imposter drove by with the loot, with the officer saying that it was proof Muriel was the thief.
- This is the first episode to feature the animated Season 3/Season 4 "The End" title card which features a CGI Courage doing a "Thank You Very Much!" pose and the background looks like a Talent Show complete with a red curtain, a wooden floor, and the red "The End" was written. The CGI Courage would later appeared in the episodes Hard Drive Courage and Perfect and the CGI short The Fog of Courage.
- Also starting with this episode, the opening credits would list Jim Mitchell as a storyboard supervisor and Andrew Covalt as a background supervisor; this would last throughout the rest of the show's run.
- The Nowhere Newsman was heard and seen on Maria and Mano Ladrones' radio, Courage' s radio and Eustace' s television.
- According to this schedule: http://www.nickandmore.com/schedules/networks/cartoonnetwork/ the episode aired on December 21, 2001.